From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John
Clement
Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2006 10:18 PM
To: 'Forum for Physics Educators'
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] g...

According to:
http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=310

Taking into account both of the above effects, the gravitational
acceleration is 9.78 m/s2 at the equator and 9.83 m/s2 at the poles, so
you
weigh about 0.5% more at the poles than at the equator.

Now what is meant by conform? I would assume that you would tell
students
that "they have to use 9.81 even though this is not strictly true". I
would
be tempted to say that this what the NYS Regents voted on as the
official
value, and that they probably did not bother to measure it. It might
actually be that value in parts of NYS, but probably not in Houston.
Should
we have a Southern value and a Northern value? Should we have one for
each
state? Hmmmmmmm. Do the blue states have different values from the red
ones? Yes, I do know that Regents exams are regraded by the central
office,
or at least they used to be.

BTW one source claimed a value of 9.87 (where???) which would not even
round
to 9.8. I let students measure it and they find it is about 10, which
is
the value we then proceed to use.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX