Re: [Phys-l] g...

I agree that using subscript notation (v for all vs, a for all as, etc.)
is, in principle, more simple and therefore should be more easily
comprehended, BUT...
my students have tremendous difficulty differentiating between
"subscripted" quantities - to many of them, a v is a v, is a v, etc. So,
I use N for normal, T for tension, etc. For vs and xs and Es, etc. I
still use subscripts, but the prevalence of mistaken identity in variables
is much higher than it is with the forces.

This seems to be a symptom of what I call "caveat blindness," which goes
something like this:
Every time I say "x only when y," "x, provided y is true," or "if y, then
x," all most of them hear, or at least commit to memory, is "x." There's
a sect that wants Fnet = 0 always, a group that wants delta p = 0 always,
a gaggle of delta KE = 0 always believers, a herd that wants us*N = static
friction force always, etc. I haven't identified a presentation method,
syntax, or activity to get the "caveats" ingrained as firmly as the
"results." This holds true even if they can speak, _in their own words_
a correct version of, say N's 1st - the connection isn't always made
between that kind of understanding and a physical situation to be analyzed.

Any suggestions welcome!

Josh Gates
Stoneleigh-Burnham School
Greenfield MA

trained professor. Tougher in his book does sometimes use F for different
forces such as F_grav, F_normal, but then he illogically departs by using
for tension as if it is a different type of force. Knight adheres to
tradition, which I think is a grave mistake. By not using a for all
accelerations, and F for all forces coherence has been decreased.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX