value for the acceleration of gravity in your course and while grading
the students'
regents examination in June?

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 22:18:03 -0500 "R. McDermott" <rmcder@gmail.com>
writes:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Herb Gottlieb" <herbgottlieb@juno.com>
To: <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Cc: <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2006 8:58 AM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] g...

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 08:13:29 -0500 "R. McDermott"
<rmcder@gmail.com>
writes:
I introduce g as the strength of a gravitational field due to
the Earth, remind them that it varies with distance, etc, and has
a value of 9.81 N/kg at the Earth's
surface.

If you wrote that g has a value of 9.8 N/kg at the Earth's
surface, I would agree. But is it correct to add the additional
significant figure and make it 9.81 here??

NY State syllabus (and reference table) now gives it as 9.81, not
9.8 as in previous years. We are obliged to conform.