Re: [Phys-l] g...

| To me, the strange thing about the NIST definition is the
| terminology "local force of gravity". Apparently "force of
| gravity" is NOT well-established!
|
| >From NIST:
| "The local force of gravity on a body, that is, its weight,
| consists of the resultant of all the gravitational forces
| acting on the body and the local centrifugal force due to the
| rotation of the celestial object."

They also don't mention coriolis effects, but do mention centrifugal
effects by name. So apparently weight is only defined when the object
is at rest relative to the rotating celestial object or else you have
the oddity including some but not all effects of measurements done in
non-inertial frames of reference.