Re: [Phys-l] g...

---
I have a problem with g. Despite my best efforts many of my students still want to say that g is a force.
---

I find that one large problem students have on their first real introduction to physics is the symbols used. For some reason (my guess is a historical inconvenience of writing subscripts) we introduce acceleration as *a*, forces as *F* etc... Instead of calling it a_g, we change it to g. Instead of F_g we call it W. Personally, I think this causes confusion in students.

I've used a variety of textbooks for the different 'physics for everyone' courses I've taught in the past. This year I switched to Hewit's conceptual physics. I think the conceptual approach taken by Hewit is excellent. However, this text does not use subscripts. Instead a_g is g, F_G is W, F_friction is R (for resistance). I have more trouble this year with students confusing forces, accelerations, and masses than I have ever had in the past.

My plan to fix this... Always use subscripts and tell students to do so as well. All forces will be F_something and so on.

Paul Lulai (where I expect to be thoroughly attacked for having the gall to post on phys-l ;)
Physics Teacher & Online Learning Coordinator
St. Anthony Village Senior High
Saint Anthony Village, MN
55418
(w) 612-706-1144