Re: [Phys-l] Basic statistics

Jack

You & I seem to be talking past each other. Let's see if I can make my point more clearly and then see if we can reach common ground.

When I said "carefully stated" I was trying to exclude puns.
Tim makes a pun on the phrase "applies to."

While I like puns as much - usually more ;-) - than the next guy, I'm not sure what I said that could be construed as a pun.

Your basic statement of the CLT was
"The texts tell us, as I understand them, that the means of vary
large samples taken from finite variance distributions are normally
distributed about a central value. I do not know whether there is a proof
that relaxes the limiting conditions."

That sounds like a pretty decent summary.

While his statement is correct, it doesn't contradict mine,
namely, the chi-square distribution does not become normal
in the large N limit.

and

In the case of the chi-square distribution it is easy to demonstrate
by example with MathCad or a similar program that the large N limit
is not Gaussian.

I still disagree. I ran a simulation using a chi square with 2 degrees of freedom (which looks far from normal). I added 100 (i.e. a large N) results from this chi square distribution. I repeated this process 1000 times. The distribution of these 1000 points looks normally distributed. It also passes the standard Anderson-Darling test for normality. (Or more precisely, it doesn't fail the test.)

And actually, I will admit I WAS wrong on one point. The chi-square distribution does approach a normal distribuion for large degrees offreedom. It doesn't look very close for small degress of fredom, but it does eventually start to look like the normal distribution.

So whether N means "degrees of freedom" or N is a large sample as intended for the CLT, either one approaches normality for large N.

Tim F