Re: [Phys-l] Research into student evaluations

Richard Hake wrote:

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

[slightly edited; my CAPS]:

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
I recommend a look at [Seldin (2006)].

STUDENT EVALUATIONS ARE (surprisingly) VALID MEASURES OF TEACHING
PERFORMANCE. There are a lot of misconceptions about student evals.
This book includes studies of evals.
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

SET's are a valid measure of teaching performance? The crucial
question is "Valid for what?" In Hake (2002a) I wrote [see that
article for references other than Hake & Swihart (1979) and Hake
(2002b)]:

On the teaching evaluations we use, there are 14 questions. The two that are
weighted heavily are the following:

How does your learning in this course compare with your learning in other courses at
this university?

How does the instructor compare with other instructors you have had at this
university?

In my experience, freshmen in their first semester are not qualified to answer these
questions. Why should I be compared equally with an instructor of English or
mathematics? Especially, if the course is a gen ed course geared toward non-
technical majors that dislike science coming in.

In our department, instructors that teach juniors and seniors are rated higher than
when the same instructors are evaluated by freshmen. Why is that?

Yet, the reference that I gave in my post (Selden's book) indicates that student
evaluations have been studied and shown to accurately reflect the teaching ability of
the instructors. I have not read the study as I do not have the book, but I pointed it
out as a possible source for such a study.

Take care,
David Marx