Re: [Phys-l] LabVIEW and data analysis/acquisition

UCB has a LabView laboratory sandwiched w/ a project at the end and analogue as tother slice. If I remember correctly the bread fills out the course to make a full 1/4 or semester course. I know this because Tom Colton, the lab. honcho, gave a PP? contributed paper on this class last Sat. at the NCNAAPT mtng.

The physics department at UC Berkeley recently introduced a 3-week unit on computerized data acquisition, signal processing, and control into the junior-level electronics lab course. Students learn to program virtual instruments in the National Instruments LabVIEW graphical programming application. After an on-line LabVIEW tutorial, students construct a simple amplifier circuit and write a program to measure Boltzmann's constant from Johnson noise in a resistor. In the 2nd week, students build a scaled resistor digital to analog converter (DAC) and program an analog to digital converter (ADC). In 3rd week, students explore digital filtering techniques and write a proportional-integral-differential (PID) loop to control a magnetic levitator. Many students use LabVIEW for their final course project and subsequent research experiences. We will share lessons learned in adding 18 computer workstations and three weeks of material to an already-packed room and course.

Scroll down:

http://www.ncnaapt.org/archives/fall2006/fall2006prog.html

BTW in re. to another thread, Pat in her invited talk discussed the difference between Doppler and expansion shifting.

bc, who points out the cc address for Tom.

John SOHL wrote:

Hi All,

Soon (Winter Semester) I'll be teaching a class on Data Acquisition and
Analysis. A primary goal of the course is to teach students to use
LabVIEW for data collection (and some limited analysis too). I also plan
to use other tools such as Excel for statistics and limited analysis.
I have not been happy with the selection of textbooks. The first two
times I did this I used John Essick's text "Advanced LabVIEW Labs" and
loved it for the LabVIEW part. That is now hopelessly out of date (uses
LabVIEW 5 but LabVIEW 8 is now the current version). Two years ago I
used the National Instruments book and was only marginally happy with
it. The price was not too out of hand and it was nice to have a student
version of the software included.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd also be interested in suggestions
for a good textbook on data analysis (including data acquisition would
be even better).
We sometimes use the book "Practical Physics" for our advanced lab
course and that is a good book but not quite what I'm looking for for
this course.
Thanks!

John

(PS to bc: I still have your 6V lamps under my desk and still plan to
test them. I hit a bump in the road in both time and available power
supplies. I intend to try it with a new supply as soon as I can take the
time to figure out how to program the thing.)

John E. Sohl, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics
Weber State University
2508 University Circle