Re: [Phys-l] Cosmic background radiation

The distinction I'm making is important, because if our rulers
etc. expanded along with the universe, the expansion would be
unmeasurable and indeed meaningless.

Are you saying that if we only had the technology to measure an expansion small enough (I suppose over a time scale necessary to "see" it, namely one's lifetime), that we could measure the expansion of the universe with a ruler?

I thought the issue was more tricky than this. Is is not space that is expanding, hence leading to a problem measuring the expansion with a ruler, even in principle?

Stefan Jeglinski