Re: [Phys-l] Cosmic background radiation

Hi Leanna-
Michael Porter's suggested website gives a nice summary. The point to be emphasized is that you have to be careful with the language. The background radiation was predicted as a consequence of the big ban, then it was found. If the background radiation had been found before it was predicted, folks might have found other explanations for it.

Also, you need to remember that different parts of the universe are at different times - when we look at distant objects we are ``looking back'' in time. The background radiation is (actually, was) hotter at earlier times, so it is a bit misleading to say that it is "constant" throughout the universe.
Regards,
Jack