Tenure-Track Faculty Positions in Science Education within the College
of Natural Sciences at California State University, Chico
The Positions: With a commitment to developing a leadership role in science
education, the College seeks to fill five tenure-track faculty positions at
the Assistant Professor or Associate Professor level beginning in Fall 2007.
As a university that educates students of various ethnic and cultural
backgrounds, we value a diverse faculty and staff. CSU, Chico welcomes
applicants who are knowledgeable about and interested in working within a
cross-cultural learning environment.
· Doctorate in a specific science or science education by no later than the
Fall 2007 appointment date.
· Experience in both science education and a science discipline.
· Demonstrated interest in K-12 science education.
· Evidence of quality teaching.
· A commitment to working with preservice and in-service teachers.
· Capacity or potential for excellence in research, writing, pursuing
external funding, or other scholarly activities in science education.
· Teach science education and science courses in area of expertise.
· Collaborate with members of the College of Natural Sciences science
· Scholarly activity in science education.
· Participate in service to the program, university and community.
· Fulfill one or more of the Current Needs of the College listed below.
Responsibilities do NOT include supervision of student teachers.
Current Needs Include:
· Conducting and collaborating in science education research
· Teaching physical, earth, or life science courses for preservice K-8
· Developing and promoting discipline-based programs for preservice
· Building University, school, and community partnerships in science
· Expanding and teaching in the Master¹s in Science Teaching program
· Conducting professional development programs for the training and
supervision of teaching assistants
Salary: $45,156 - $56,928 (Assistant Professor) / $51,852 - $71,976
(Associate Professor) per academic year, based on qualifications and
The College: The College of Natural Sciences consists of strong departments
in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Geological and Environmental Sciences,
Mathematics and Statistics, Nutrition and Food Science, Physics, and a
School of Nursing. The College is undertaking a major effort to improve its
programs in science education. With this announcement we hope to hire five
new Science Education faculty to work with a new Science Education Program
Coordinator in developing new programs and enhancing existing programs for
future teachers at both the elementary and secondary levels and in nurturing
our Master¹s in Science Teaching program. We currently have strong programs
in outreach for practicing teachers including the California Science
Project-Inland Northern California and other activities coordinated through
our Center for Mathematics and Science Education. Our Hands-On Learning
Laboratory for teacher preparation and professional development is used by
over 70 preservice teachers, 40 classroom teachers and 1500 elementary
students per semester. Many opportunities exist for collaboration between
faculty in the various departments within the College, as well as with our
colleagues in other colleges.
Closing Date: Review will begin January 16, 2007.
How to Apply: Applicants must submit an Application for Academic Employment
form (found at http://www.csuchico.edu/hr/Forms/VPHR-FacultyEmplApp.doc ), a
letter of application addressing qualifications, a one-page statement
addressing the applicant¹s expertise in one or more of our areas of current
need, curriculum vita, complete academic transcripts (unofficial copy
acceptable), and three current letters of reference to:
Dr. Margaret Owens, Associate Dean
Attention: Science Educator Search
College of Natural Sciences
Chico CA 95929-0555
An annual security report disclosing crime statistics for California State
can be obtained by contacting the Chico State University Police Department
or by accessing the following website: http://www.csuchico.edu/up/html/jeanne_clery.html
For disability-related accommodations, call 530-898-6192, or TDD
California State University, Chico is an Equal Opportunity Employer and also
individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States.
David Kagan, Ph. D.
Professor of Physics
Department of Physics
California State University, Chico
Chico, CA 95929-0202