Re: [Phys-l] Premed Requirements Commentary

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Krause" <kraused@wabash.edu>

Here is the relevant excerpt from this editorial:

Changing Premed Requirements and the Medical Curriculum
Ezekiel J. Emanuel, MD, PhD

Why are calculus, organic chemistry, and physics still premed
requirements? Mainly to "weed out" students.

Well one might challenge Dr. Ezekiel to teach students Biochem who haven't had organic. While calculus and physics may be used to 'weed out' prospective med students, it is a weeding out on their inability to think analytically and problem solve. Personally, I would prefer that my doctors have those skills. ;-)

Rick