Re: [Phys-l] gasoline

How much oxygen is added to the gasoline??

Sam

Anthony Lapinski wrote:

In the September 2006 issue of Popular Science, there is an interesting
article on starting on page 50: "The Race To 100 MPG." A prize of $25
million will be given to the first group to bring a 100-mpg car to market.
And the race is on! The article states, "Each gallon of gasoline burned
adds about 19 pounds of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere." I did some
research and found that one gallon of gasoline weighs about 6.2 lbs, so I
was surprised at this 19 lb figure. Am I missing something here? Can
someone "prove" this with a chemical reaction to confirm/deny this claim?