Re: [Phys-l] bicycle stability (yes, again)

At 11:43 AM 8/30/2006, Stuart, you wrote:
///
If I set it rolling on the ground, it stays upright for a while before slowing
down and falling over. There is no feedback mechanism here where a rider would
be turning the wheel to keep the point(s) of support under the CM.

Gyro stabilization is certainly a real phenomenon (gun turrets, rockets,
binoculars etc) and it seems to me that there must be some component involved
with stabilizing a bicycle.

(But that's just my opinion; I could be wrong.)

--
Stuart Leinoff

About stability:
on bikes with suitable geometry, tilting a stationary bike is
countered by the fork turning toward the tilt.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!