Re: [Phys-l] Another try

Hi,
Here at the University of Arizona, the campus is cooled with ice. At night when the air temperature is lower and the electric rates are lower, ice is made. During the day the ice cools the campus. I am told that UA has the second largest cooling system in the world behind the Pentagon.

Thanks
Roger Haar

Bernard Cleyet wrote:
this time a physics related news article.

THINKING OF REPLACING YOUR AIR CONDITION[ER] WITH ICE?

HOW STUFF WORKS - How much ice would I have to store up in the winter
in order to air condition my house all summer?. . . This is a great
question... . . . It certainly would be an easy system to build. All
you need is a big insulated container (probably in the form of a hole
in the ground) with some coiled tubes at the bottom. You would run a
chilled water circuit from the container to a radiator inside the air
conditioner (see How Air Conditioners Work for details). You would
need a small pump to pump the water in the chilled water loop, but that's it.

[The math follows and then the conclusion]

So we need: 130,000,000 BTU * 3.15 grams/BTU = 409,500,000 grams of
ice That's about 410,000 liters of ice, or 410,000 kilograms (902,000
pounds) of ice that you must store to cool your house all summer.
That's a cube measuring 740 centimeters (24.26 feet) on a side. Very
roughly speaking, you would have to dig a hole as big as your house
and insulate it well, and then in the winter you would have to shovel
it full of nearly a million pounds of ice. But if you do that, you can
cool your house for free.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question306.htm

bc, who hasn't checked it, because he must house, as in house husband.