From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John Denker
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2006 1:19 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Collision of irregular bodies

Bob LaMontagne wrote:

In the usual "plane of contact" collision, the force is perpendicular to
the
plane.

Really? How do you know? What's the measure for "usual"?

Has anybody done an experiment that shows the force is
reproducibly perpendicular to the plane of contact?

In every experiment I can think of, there are readily-observable
force components in the plane of contact. Previously mentioned
examples include
-- billiard balls(*)
-- dropping a broomstick onto the floor

Another example that comes immediately to mind is table tennis
(ping pong). I've seen 10-year-olds try to play the game using
only normal forces ... but I cannot consider that the "usual"
case. The first kid who figures out how to use the non-normal
forces will win every time.

Are these not valid observations? Are they not representative
of the "usual" case???

(*) The experiment described in Problem 1.6 on page 10 of Ron
Shepard's treatise is a particularly clean example of the point
I'm making. It easily establishes a nonzero lower bound on the
coefficient of friction. (I would quibble with the wording of
the problem, however; this does not measure "the" coefficient
of friction, only a lower bound. Obtaining a _tight_ lower
bound requires more effort.)
http://www.tcbilliards.com/articles/physics.html