[Phys-l] beyond google

Thanks for posting the newspaper article.

You might be interested in a panel that I arranged for the AAPT conference
last week. We had speakers describing 3 very different approaches to
introducing information literacy into physics curriculum. The session went
very well. Here are the URL's for the class web pages.

The session at AAPT describes 3 different ways of introducing physics
students to information literacy.
Here are the URL's for the web pages of the courses.

BYU Physics 416 Writing in Physics
http://gardner.byu.edu/416w/

Physics students at BYU must write a thesis before they can graduate. This
class is being taught for the 2nd time this summer and is on the schedule
for fall. The students love it. It is a credit class and they are getting
help writing the thesis! van Huele loves it as English is his 3rd language
and he is learning how to write in English along with the students!

Penn State ED&G 100 (Engineering Design)
http://www.libraries.psu.edu/eng/edg100spring02.htm

Bonnie Osif met with the class five times. She lectured and gave
assignments designed to help students find appropriate materials for their
final design project.

Physics 213 Thermodynamics, Electricity and Magnetism
http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/phys213/

Prof. Dick Wheeler invited me to collaborate with him on lesson plans for
this class last summer. I met with the class for a half hour on Thursdays
to talk about the Internet assignments. We tweaked the assignments slightly
for this summer's class. I have been on medical leave all summer and have
not been able to meet with the class. The discussion is important, but the
students feel they are learning even without it.

Patricia T. Viele, Physics & Astronomy Librarian
Edna McConnell Clark Physical Sciences Library
Clark Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853-2501
Voice: 607-255-0067