Re: [Phys-l] Rocket Hovering and Conservation of Momentum

On 26-Jul-06, I wrote:

On 25-Jul-06, at 9:00 Zeke Kossover wrote:

Howdy-

A student asked me this question recently, and I am not
sure about my answer.

He asked, "Imagine a rocket hovering off the ground,
applying a thrust equal to the rocket's weight. Gas is
moving downwards getting downwards momentum. What is
getting upwards momentum?"

I haven't read any of the ensuing discussion, ...

[deletia]

I will not extend this already prolix note farther because there is no need to. Do the analysis!

I have now read the contributions to this thread through Thursday's Digest and I don't like any of them except, perhaps, Jack Uretsky's. I feel that I must do the very simple analysis explicitly, though any of the respondents could have done it for themselves.

First, in order to apply the principle of conservation of translational momentum to this system one must define an applicable system. Such a system must be isolated, which in the case of translational momentum conservation means it must be closed and free of net external force. In order to be closed, no momentum carrying entities, like masses, neutrinos or photons, may cross the system's boundary in the interval during which we mean to apply the principle. Of course we may approximate appropriately, neglecting what is justifiably negligible.

With these requirements clearly in mind, the simplest system I can imagine to which the principle of conservation of linear momentum can be applied in Zeke Kossover's student's problem is one which contains the rocket and the Earth*. In the simplest calculation I can do the translational momentum of this system is exactly zero in the center of momentum frame. This momentum may be considered to be compartmentalized into subsystems, but the exhaust gas subsystem is not an isolated system because it is neither closed nor free of external forces. If we choose instead to calculate the translational momentum of the [exhaust gas plus rocket fuel] subsystem, we find it is both closed and free of net external force. However it is difficult to dot all the necessary i's and cross the necessary t's - this system is not sufficiently simple to use in teaching! For example, I have to modify my model by eliminating Earth's atmosphere and digging a hole below the rocket deep enough to accommodate all the exhaust generated in the period of interest. In this case the [exhaust plus fuel] system will have some constant net downward momentum in the previously established frame, and the [Earth plus rocket] subsystem will have an equal and oppositely directed translational momentum in that frame.

I see that many more comments have come in this morning's Digest, so back to reading.

Leigh

*The KISS principle also applies.