Re: [Phys-l] Electrostatic demonstrations

Probably Desaguliers * [1683=> 1744]. However, Wm. Watson [1715=>1787], "... explained more clearly than Desaguliers had done, that atmospheric moisture destroyed electricity by conduction *."

* I couldn't find the reference, only the quote above.

** "The leak derives primarily through surface conductivity promoted by the moisture, not from loss to the air, a point not understood until the end of the 19th century. Ref: "Conduction of Electricity through Gasses I", the Thomsons, Cambridge 1928. Quoted: Electricity in the 17th and 18th Centuries, Heilbron, J. L. UC Press (1979)

bc, collector of miscellany.

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

When was the the effect of humidity recognized as a factor influencing electrostatic demonstrations? I suspect that Ben Franklin was already familiar with the effect of humidity. But I am not sure. Who was the first to write about this?

Ludwik Kowalski
Let the perfect not be the enemy of the good.