Re: [Phys-l] Rocket Hovering and Conservation of Momentum

Hi Marc-
I find your answer unduly complicated. A counterpart of this question is in Hake's origianl SDI labs. The answer to what is getting upward momentum is, simply, the earth. The added downward momentum from the gas is from the gravitational attraction of the earch.
I advocate keeping it simple and accompanying the answer with a
diagram showing the gas, the earth, the mutual forces acting on each, and nothing else.
Regards,
Jack