[Phys-l] Skype Startup

I found this note from rec.boat.cruising interesting.
I have no commercial connection.

Brian

"just me" <prime*******et> wrote
> can anyone provide me "step by step" info and how to subscribe to
> Skype and what equipment I would need to buy?
> Thanks, J

That's real easy.....

Go to http://www.skype.com/
Download Skype and run the installer like any other program.
When it runs the first time, Skype's interface will ask you to fill in
the blanks and register itself, automatically.
There, now you're on Skype.

Plug in a MICROPHONE or a headset with a mic to the computer's audio
system. Doubleclick on Skype Test Call on your contact list and a pretty
English girl will answer (no she's a recording, relax). After the beep,
talk into your microphone is a normal voice you'd use to talk to anyone.
After 10 seconds of recording your voice, she'll play your voice back to
you through Skype so you can hear how good you sound, or don't sound at
all. Call as many times as you need to to get your voice sounding good.
Skype is capable, as default, of adjusting your audio dynamically so your
voice sounds great. To check this click on the Skype interface:
Tools
Sound Devices
and put a check in "Let Skype adjust my sound device settings" if it is
not already checked. Skype will adjust your audio continuously so you're
always the right level, unless it runs out of range on your soundcard
interface. When this is checked, Skype adjusts whatever sound device is
currently being used by WinXP, whether it be the computer's sound card,
>or a USB headset you plugged in or the Skype Phone interface from Linksys
or other manufacturers. I've tested it with great results with:
Logitech notebook cams (Skype does video from Skype to Skype)
Logitech ball cams on my home computer
Logitech USB stereo headset with builtin microphone
and I just got a Cyber Acoustics AC-740 earclip headset/mic that looks
like what the brothers wear for their cellphones to use when I carry the
notebook off and don't want to carry the Linksys Skype Phone and its
interface. The audio on this unit isn't as loud as I'd like, but is very
usable. The mic audio works great and you just unplug the headphones and
use the notebook's speakers for conference calling to drive the people at
the next table nuts listening to your call to Japan.

Now, once you have Skype up and running for free, there are a couple of
other matters you can add right from your Skype interface....
Skype Out - Connects Skype to any telephone or cellphone on the planet
Skype In - Connects the telephone system on the planet to your Skype on
the computer allowing anyone, computerized or not, to call you.

Skype Out is easy, just charge up your account by clicking TOOLS then
SKYPE OUT at the top of Skype. The Buy Skype Credit window will popup
and allow you to use your credit card to buy a $10 credit charge on your
account. Skype Out works until January without a money chargeup to any
phone in the USA or Canada PROVIDING you are IN the USA or Canada. Calls
from Tortola to USA will be 2.1 US cents per minute, .017 Euro. Calls
from Bangledesh to Des Moines are also 2.1c/min. Skype doesn't care
where you call FROM as it's on the internet. From your Skype to anyone
else's Skype, computer to computer calls, are always free between any
points on the internet. The other night we were on a Skype Conference
call between a bunch of nuts and had EVERY continent, even Antarctica to
some guys wintering over, on the conference...(c;

Skype In is also purchased the same way. Click TOOLS then SKYPE IN and
it will open Internet Explorer to a secure webpage. Skype In is in beta
testing, but don't let that bother you, it's solid here in backwater SC.
Skype In sets up a telephone number on "some system" you get to choose,
not necessarily where your home is located. You tell Skype In's signup
webpages where your telephone number should be located in and it will
find the closest of their ports. Once on the port, it will ask you for
your favorite last 4 digits of the phone number so you can make it
somewhat more easy to remember for everyone. Mine is the same last 4
numbers as my cellphone. Of course, you don't get to choose the exact
exchange. Skype In is an exhorbitant expense.....$12 for 3 months or
$38/year! That's per YEAR, not like Bell$not's per MONTH. CHEEP! They
said it would take a few hours to activate when I signed up for mine. It
was activated in less than 2 minutes, here. Once activated, you can
access the setup on your Skype interface for Skype In. With Skype In you
get FREE Skype Voicemail, so people can leave Skype a message when you're
>not online. Skype will tell you who called, when, dialback to them on
command with Skype Out all from the BIG COMPUTER SCREEN, not that tiny
damned little icon in your cellphone only teenagers can see...(c;
There's also a play button next to any caller that's on your contact
list, either skype contact or phone contact. Skype also does call
forwarding for free. I have Skype configured so that if I'm online, but
busy or away, incoming calls go to voicemail. If I'm offline completely,
Skype forwards all calls, to my cellphone number. You can have it dump
all calls to Skype voicemail if you like...your choice.

When you're in Skype-to-Skype contact with someone, computer to computer,
Skype opens up more features, of course. Live color webcam video...just
plug in any webcam your computer is configured for. There's a button on
the interface window to turn video on and off when you are already
connected to someone. If they're on dialup or you are, put video out of
your mind. There isn't enough bandwidth on dialup. You can also click
up to CHAT with any of your contacts. Keyboard to keyboard chat. This
is useful when you're on Skype to a phone. Skype tells other Skype
contacts you are offline when you make a phonecall. They can still let
you know what they want by initiating a chat, instead of a voice call.
You can talk on the phone with her, while typing to someone else on the
chat mode if you are a multitasker...(c; Skype will also send and
receive files. You have a ton of pictures of the offshore race on your
digital camera. You plug the camera or memory card into the laptop, call
someone on Skype-to-Skype and send them that picture of you beating S/V
"Losers" always-winning boat across that finish line to the astonishment
of the race committee on the dock.....long before the protest flag goes
up!...(c; Skype will send SMS messages to less fortunate people who only
have cellular phones. It has Conference calling mode where you can
connect Skype users and phone users up in a big conference call where
everyone can hear everyone else curse those stupid business decisions the
boss has made.

Skype Me!

Skype is like a telephone in most of its modes. You're not exposed to
every nutcase on the planet like IRC chat rooms or AOL/MSN/Danny's Tire
chatrooms. However, there are times when you might want to meet someone
new or just fool around with new people across the planet. That's Skype
Me!. To the left of your name field under the control buttons is a green
panel with white checkmark, the Skype logo. There's one in your tray
that works, too, while Skype is booted. Click it and a pick menu pops up
so you can change your Skype Status....online, offline, busy, Away (I'm
on the head and can't answer right now), not available or do not disturb
(My Skype is online, but I don't want anyone to call me while my
girlfriend is this horny), Invisible (you don't show up on anyone's
contact list during bouts of paranoid schizophrenia), and....Skype Me!

Skype Me! puts you on the public network and ignores your privacy
settings so everyone can see you and call you. It's great fun,
especially if you put your personal interests, like boating or cruising,
in your personal profile so you're easy to search for. There is a search
button on the Skype interface. Search is how you find your friends on
Skype. Skype Name, full name or email address is all you need. There is
a checkbox to check to limit the search to people in Skype Me! mode who
have laid themselves open to ridicule and will talk to anyone.....

There are lots of kids, or cops/FBI agents posing as kids on Skype Me!
looking to make a name for themselves to get promoted catching
pedophiles. The best way to deflect the obvious cop trap is to say hello
and goodbye all at once, just in case it is a kid, not a cop. No sense
making the kids feel like lepers, even though thats how the paranoid
Christians want you to treat them. Just like on any internet chatroom,
the real kids come in two types, those looking for other kids and those
looking for nasty sex with adults. Anyone can see how OLD you are in
your Skype profile. They know who they're calling. I'd never call
anyone under 18 years old in the current mindset, of the USA especially.
The whole country's gone berserk....
Remember the McMartin Preschool Persecutions??

Well, there's lots more Skype I haven't covered, but this ought to keep
you busy until Jan 1, 2007 when Skype Out goes to 2.1c/min. That's 7
HOURS for $10...no taxes, no fees, no funnybusiness...$10, total! UK
landline phones are also free today and tomorrow, but not their
cellphones, which cost everyone way too much to call. Next weekend,
Mexico landline phones are free all weekend on Skype, if there's anyone
left in Mexico to answer them....(sigh)

Skype's website has manuals for all the other stuff....

Gotta go....got a call from Hawaii. Maybe I'll go visiting over
Christmas...(c;

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!