Re: [Phys-l] dirty water

On Jul 9, 2006, at 11:11 AM, Marc "Zeke" Kossover wrote:

--- Ludwik Kowalski <kowalskil@mail.montclair.edu> wrote:

Steam escaping from a beaker with boiling dirty water is
supposed to be
essentially H2O vapor. But is it really so? What about a
possibility
that escaping bubbles create tiny droplets of dirty water
and rising
steam is mixed with them? Please share what you think or
what you know.
References would be appreciated.

No references, but through experience, one can get lots of
other stuff, especially volatiles. Unless you are very
careful, you will distill alcohol, acetic acid, ammonia,
and lots of other compounds (some that don't begin with an
"A"). Traps can help capture some dense solids.

Thanks. What I had in mind was purity of the re-condensed liquid. By the way, did somebody take a patent on turning urine into drinking water by using solar energy. I am thinking about caravans in equatorial deserts. An oasis with fresh water made from the urine left by previous visitors.

Hei, it is time to start watching the France-Italy game in Berlin.

Ludwik Kowalski
Let the perfect not be the enemy of the good.