Re: [Phys-l] Equations

Edmiston, Mike wrote:
I don't disagree with John's listing of four distinct ideas. Indeed, I
find his description helpful.

:-)

I am stating what my incomming
students think, and I am always trying to find ways to get through to
them.

That's commendable.

Here's a possibly constructive suggestions:

A) Enlarge their repertoire of concepts. Make explicit the distinctions:
Equation
Causation
Definition
Calculation

B) Rather than attempting to distinguish
F = ma (1)
versus
a = F/m (2)
it would be better to use a different notation. One possibility is to
write it as a chemical reaction:
F <-- ma (3)
versus
a <-- F/m (4)
That is, statement (3) says we can react m and a to produce F, while
statement (4) says we can react F and m to produce a.

The *symmetric* statement (1) implies both of the non-symmetric statements
(3) and (4).
(1) ==> (3)
(1) ==> (4)
In the converse direction we have

And of course (1) and (2) are exactly equivalent, for nonzero m:

This upholds the principle of say what you mean, and mean what you say.
If you want to talk about the symmetric relationship between F and ma,
that's cool. If you want to talk about the non-symmetric relationship
between finding F and finding ma, that's also cool.

Different relationships need to be expressed differently. Do not say
"=" when you mean "<--".