Re: [Phys-l] fire starter from the sun - revisited

Tim Folkerts wrote:

There's nothing like good data to settle an argument. Unfortunately,
"Myth Busters" is nothing like good data. ;-)
I have watched the show a few times, but I found myself constantly
questioning their scientific and engineering
expertise. Details that seemed perfectly obvious to me completely
escaped them. It was mildly entertaining, but
certainly not the place I would go for examples to show in class of how
to approach scientific or engineering problems.

Actually, I find the show, sometimes at least, interesting and enjoyable
and really wasn't aware, in my post, that I was recommending it as a
source or scientific or engineering expertise or even a source of class
examples.

See the URL below for a more academically oriented reference to the same
myth and researched by the same people and same institution as was
presented on the Mythbusters show (MIT, which I believe does qualify in
many peoples' opinion, including my own, as a source of scientific and
engineering expertise and class room examples).

http://web.mit.edu/2.009/www/lectures/10_ArchimedesResult.html

Don

Dr. Donald Polvani
Northrop Grumman Corporation