Re: [Phys-l] sound lab

At 07:51 AM 4/18/2006, you wrote:
I'm sure at least some of you do the speed of sound lab with a tuning
fork, half golf tube, and 1 L graduated cylinder. I want to try a
variation by using Alka Seltzer to get the speed of sound in carbon
dioxide. I put the tablet in the tube so that the CO2 would push out the
air in the column. It did not work as I got the same result as for air. I
even tried lifting the tube a bit, adding the tablet, and then lowering
the tube to get the resonant frequency. Same result.

I'm thinking I have to add more tablets or wait a longer time so all the
air is pushed out. Or maybe the best way would be to somehow put a
screen/mesh on the submerged end of the tube in order to capture the
tablet. Then the column would always have CO2 in it since it's heavier
than air.

Has anyone tried this with any success?

Diffusion is not your friend, in this case.
Perhaps the overproduction of CO2 from dry ice might help?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!