Re: [Phys-l] magnetized silverware in restaurants

depends on the composition (18-8 vs other compositions) more than the quenched/ tempered state, thinks bc. OTOH the composition may determine the structure also.

In the old days a student exercise was to magnetize a nail * by pounding while correctly oriented. I've found many ferromagnetic objects become magnetized simply from use (adventitious trauma while correctly oriented -- defies random cancellation, bc also thinks).

* bc much later "discovered" monel, ss, etc. nails.

bc, taught engineering materials too long ago

p.s. austenite (itic)

jbellina wrote:

Not sure why magnetized, but some stainless steels will be attracted by magnets, and some will not. As I recall from 20 years ago, it depends on the whether they are mostly astinite or martensite...not sure of the spelling anymore. So perhaps the alloy has changed to something which can be magnetic.

cheers,

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College