[Phys-l] Physics MODELING WORKSHOPS NATIONWIDE in summer 2006

April 21, 2006
Modeling Workshops in high school physics will be held in summer 2006
in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Honolulu, Iowa, Chicago, New York, Ohio, and
Dallas Texas.
Visit <http://modeling.asu.edu> for details. Click on "Modeling
Workshops Nationwide in Summer 2006".
Modeling Workshops are peer-led. Modeling Instruction is the only high
school science program recognized by the U.S. Dept.of Education as
EXEMPLARY.
Most are 3-week workshops that thoroughly treat the pedagogy and
content for the mechanics portion of a physics course. Content is
reorganized around basic models to increase its structural coherence.
Participants are supplied with a complete set of course materials and work
through activities alternately in the roles of student or teacher.

TEACHERS SAY:
"Thanks to taking physics modeling course work, I am highly qualified in
physics."
"I learned a tremendous amount and am all fired up to teach physics this
fall!"
"I learned more about teaching and physics this summer than in 5 years of
college!"
"Great chem workshop."
"It was, without a doubt, the single greatest professional development
experience of my
career."
"In thirty years of teaching, nothing has impacted my teaching, since my
first days of learning how to teach science in undergraduate school, like
the ideas I've learned in modeling. It is the BEST idea to enter the
teaching methods I have ever seen." Jane Nelson, Orlando FL
"Modeling has permanently changed my methodology. I have taken modeling
as learned in the physics content area and employed it in other classes
(astronomy, geology, physical science). It has forced me to "clean house",
reduced content volume in these other courses and triggered a restructuring
of lab/worksheet material to fit modeling. Student response to these
changes have been overwhelmingly POSITIVE." Tom Todd, suburb of Chicago

Please forward this info to other physics, chem, & physical science teachers.

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics & Astronomy,ASU,Tempe,AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7565 <http://modeling.asu.edu>
For 16 years, the Modeling Instruction Program has been
helping teachers attain knowledge and skills needed
to benefit their students. Modeling Instruction is the
only high school science program recognized as Exemplary
by the U.S. Department of Education.