Re: [Phys-l] Ten Quotes in Honor of Inertia (was WSJ on Active Physics)

I am sure that the scientists on these lists will not confuse the truth of a statement with the truth of its inverse.

I am in full agreement with Hake and his quotes that positive change is difficult and faces enormous inertia, but I hope that the readers will not incorrectly deduce that since a resistance occurred, the implication is that the change that caused it must have been a positive one. In fact, ANY change experiences inertia, whether the change is for the better or for the worse.

Specifically, I personally think "Physics First" movement is ill advised, and particularly in view of the US habit of teaching HS science one science course per year, as opposed to the non-US science teaching which tends to teach multiple science courses in parallel through all (or most) high school years.

Consequently, while I think that the backlash to Lederman's Physics First is fully justified in San Diego and elsewhere, that does not mean that the current science education in US is good. It just means that Physics First as a solution is bad and should be resisted.

Ze'ev

Richard Hake wrote:

ABSTRACT: I give ten quotes in honor of THE INERTIA OF THE
EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM and stimulated by the backlash of parents and
teachers to the implementation of Leon Lederman's (2001) "Physics
First" in the San Diego schools, as reported by Wall Street Journal
reporter Rob Tomsho.

[Followed by many quotes, all of them paying homage to the difficulty of innovation]