Re: [Phys-l] teaching different descriptions of "reality"

Leigh Palmer wrote:
Brian Blais raises the question of introducing the concept of reality into physics teaching. I think students should be told that reality is a deep concept, and that we won't treat it in a physics class. It is a good topic for bull sessions, of course, as are sex, politics, and religion.

I agree, but I think it is one thing to tell a student that we are not speaking about
reality, and another to find a demonstrable way to make them internalize it. I think
students think of physics, especially classical physics, to be dealing with reality,
and certainly many of the concepts in classical physics match their own personal
definition of real. I think the first time it started to really click with me that
we were dealing with descriptions was when I was first introduced to quantum theory.
I believe, however, that one can get the same sort of notion by looking at many
different descriptions of classical systems. Personally, I find the contrast between
least-action principles and force principles to be really striking in this regard.
Asking the question about reality goes hand-in-hand with asking what a particle "knows".

bb

--

bblais@bryant.edu
http://web.bryant.edu/~bblais