[Phys-l] A sound demonstration with CO2

What is Alka Seltzer? How much CO2 can be evolved from a single tablet? How much does it cost?

The most dramatic demonstration of the different speeds of sound in air and CO2 I ever saw was at the Exploratorium in 1980. I have seen it since at a couple of other science museums, and I don't know where it originated.

The demonstration employs a large weather balloon (almost three meters in diameter) filled with CO2 and placed between benches on which participants (the Exploratorium is especially partial to interactive demonstrations) sit. The participants can whisper to one another over a great distance, their voices imaged by the giant acoustic lens.

I think this demonstration can be reduced to less heroic dimensions for classroom purposes and used with a mechanical wristwatch to determine the focal length, and thus the acoustic index of refraction relative to air, of a smaller balloon filled with CO2. Perhaps a balloon inflated by Alka Seltzer (or, more likely, dry ice) can be used. If one gets ambitious, a compound lens consisting of a CO2 balloon and a commercial helium-filled Mylar balloon can be constructed to measure the speed of sound in helium as well.

Leigh