[Phys-l] Physics Lab Tech Opening at Cal Poly Pomona

I am forwarding the following position announcement on behalf of my department here at Cal Poly Pomona. If I may say so myself, we have a particularly capable, conscientious, and friendly trio of lab techs at Cal Poly Pomona and I hope we will continue the trend with this hire.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona

**********************Job Announcement**********************************

We have a new job opening here at Cal Poly Pomona for a technician in
the lower division physics labs. If you are interested, please check
out the HR website address below....

http://www.csupomona.edu/~dhrsrp/employment/dated/employ2006/075ac06.htm

This position says full-time temporary, but the position will be
made permanent in the next two years. The retirement and health
benefits are among the best. If you can do it, I would highly
recommend applying for the position!

...Doug Johnson

**********************Posted Info on the HR Website************************

075-AC-06 INSTRUCTIONAL SUPPORT TECHNICIAN I
Physics Department
Full-time, temporary
University Application and Resume
$3,125 - $4,688 per month
Anticipated hiring range is $3,125 - $3,646 per month
Closing Date: REPEAT(This position is subject to close at any time)

THE DEPARTMENT: The Physics Department is one of the largest in the
California State University system, serving about 70 physics majors
and other students through its service and general education courses.
The department currently has 17 tenure track faculty with interests
in a variety of areas of physics, but with special strength in the
area of physics education.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The Instructional Support Technician I
(ISTI) provides support services to the lower division physics
laboratory classes. The ISTI repairs, maintains, and organizes lab
equipment and lab computers; checks out student equipment from the
physics stockrooms; manages inventory and cleans the labs and
stockroom areas. The ISTI sets up and tears down lower division lab
experiments; leads student assistants; assists in HAZMAT inventory
and does other duties as assigned.

QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate must have two years of
experience providing instructional support services, or two years of
college (which may be substituted for one year of experience), or
four years of college (a strong background in science and/or
engineering is necessary). Knowledge of methods and techniques
related to the field; ability to evaluate the materials and supplies
used; ability to plan and prepare schedules. The candidate should
also have experience with physics lab apparatus, support equipment,
and general equipment maintenance; skills in repairing electrical and
mechanical equipment; familiarity with PC and Mac computers and
Microsoft Office; and the ability to operate standard hand and power
tools.

PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: The preferred candidate should have a history
of good work habits and work ethics and good communication,
organizational and planning skills.