Re: [Phys-l] static electricity lab?

Santa Barbara is often wet, so for demonstrations I would operate a small (about $100 at the at time) refrigeration type dehumidifier. It did th job quite well (comparing before and after).

For a lab, I suspect running for a time before the lab will do the job.

bc

Thomas O'Neill wrote:

Owen,

Stolen fair and square from Arons:

If you go to
http://www.svgs.k12.va.us/Courses/Physics/documents/Physics_Labs.htm

You will find my write-up as the Lab 02 for my Physics class. The lab
is available as either a Word document or PDF. Feel free to use it in
your class. The lab is supposed to be completed by students working at
home but like all things is completed typically during free block by
pairs of students. Warning: humidity can make the lab difficult
especially comparing pieces of tapes.

As always I recommend Michael Fowler's site at the University of
Virginia for the historical development and general insight into the
problem.

THO

Thomas O'Neill

Physics