Re: [Phys-l] laptops banned from class

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Robert Carlson wrote:

I've already done what Anthony, Herb and Jack discuss
below. But, sometimes lectures get so lonely. If you
want to use what I use for free, then you can get the
CD in a zip file at physicstoolkit.com. My lecture
notes, generated using lecture notes in the zip file,
can be viewed at
http://home.minneapolis.edu/~carlsoro/. The phys 1221
notes are kind of sparce lately because I am insisting
students drive the lecture by reading and asking
questions and they are resisting.
That's because (IMO) you haven't gotten them over THE THRESHOLD.
The threshold was elegantly explained to me one day by a student who
asked, "Why do I have to read this stuff? What are they paying you for?"
Most pre-meds, in my experience, never cross this threshold, for good reason; they have a different agenda which has to do with pocketbook issues. Many community college students have full time jobs, they consider that they do not have time to do their own learning.
The habit of a lifetime in our public schools is to expect a highly-skilled teacher to pour knowledge into the heads of receptive students. Many teachers, who deem themselves highly skilled, believe that they actually can do such pouring. Dick Hake, in his early -90's TPT article on SDI labs persuasively describes his own disillusionment with the power of his own dramatic and exciting teaching skills. The rest of us, enchanted by the sounds of our own voices, can probably learn much from Hake's narrative.
But it does seem to me that an effective test of students taking responsibility for their own learning is their willingness to take the initiative in the classroom and, especially, to challenge the teacher without any prompting.

Regards,
Jack

But the phys 1100
notes are complete.

Enjoy,

Bob Carlson

Sorry Bernard, while all documents are in html and
will run on Macs, the applications only run on pcs.