Re: [Phys-l] note-taking etc. (was: laptops ...)

On Mar 30, 2006, at 11:38 AM, John Denker wrote:

b) Some students find that the process of writing notes is

Personally I have never understood method (b), but I am not
so arrogant as to think that just because I don't understand
it, it doesn't exist. Actually it seems to be the most-common
case, if only by a modest margin.

I was going to jump in earlier, but now is the perfect time. I was always one of these method (b) students. For me, the ACT of writing something down is an essential part of committing the idea to memory. More than that, I think the mental act of boiling down an idea to something that can be written down in "note" form is an essential part (for me and students like me) of the process of "understanding" an idea. So handout lecture notes for me would be very ineffective.

So this just goes to stress that there is no right answer for every student, and that part of teaching students is teaching them to recognize their own learning style and how to make the most of it.

DM

David L. Morgan
Professor of Physics
Eugene Lang College