Re: [Phys-l] laptops banned from class.

If the lecture notes are frameworks and diagrams for students to use rather than complete mini-text books, then the students are left with having to write down key elements and have more time to process. If I show a copy of the triboelectric series, do my students really benefit from furiously scribbling down a list of materials? Or would it be better to give them the list and leave which materials become more positive and negative for them to record?

If I am presenting an example problem, the student version of the notes has the problem and a diagram, maybe even a formula or a list of steps needed to solve, but not the solution or FBD. (Customs Shows in ppt is a really neat under-used feature).

I provide lecture notes, but students who do not write on them often find them useless later. I have actually spent the last two years carefully removing content from presentations to make the students more interactive. Since I let my students use notes on exams, some find it a shock when they open their unused copy of the notes and find no help.

There can be compromise.

Scott Goelzer

Scott Goelzer
Physics Teacher