Re: [Phys-l] laptops banned from class.

In my high school, I do many demos and activities. Students are also busy
writing that they miss half the things I say/do. So a few years ago I
began to give out my "lecture" notes to them. So they can just listen,
follow the lesson, and jot down a few things when necessary. They find the
handouts informative and very useful for test studying. It also helps a
kid who misses a day as I don't have to "reteach" what they missed.

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:

Professor June Entman says her main concern is that students are so busy
keyboarding they can't think and analyze what she's telling them.

Well, if that's the case, there is a simple solution, that is not
available with a classroom full of desktops. All she has to do is
have everyone close their computer lids when she wants them to pay
attention to her, and then when she gives them something to do that
requires that they use their computers, then just open them up again.

This may be a problem enforcing if she is lecturing to a class of
several hundred, but in that case her school needs to radically
change the way they teach. Huge lecture classes, at least in science
are rapidly going out of style--it's hard to conduct an interactive
class when you are looking at a sea of faces, none of whose names you
even know.

If you can control when the students get to look at their computers
and when they look at you, the computers can have a real value in
class.

On the other hand, I remember a lot of classes in which I was so busy
writing notes I had no opportunity to think about what the professor
was saying. So I don't think her problem is anything new, the only
thing new is the technology--computers vs. pencils.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they
will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams