Re: [Phys-l] Magnetic force and work

Tom and Josh:
1) Tom's statement: " The energy gained by the marble then comes from the flow of energy due to the normal force alone." didn't parse well for me because it seems to imply that the x directed normal force can DIRECTLY affect the marble's y velocity component. It cannot; the details of the indirect mechanism must be stated: It accomplishes energy transfer to the marble's y velocity component by using the magnetic force as a "go between". Josh puts it this way: "B transfers velocity from the x- dim. to the y-dim., and the normal force "replenishes" that x velocity."

By pushing in the x direction to maintain the charged marble's x velocity component, the tube provokes the qVxB force into existence to push the marble in the y direction.

2) From the standpoint of energy flow:
The tube's normal force pushes the marble against the opposing x component of the B force. This represents a transfer of energy from the pushing agent to the tube, to the marble (x motion) and to the B field. The y component of the B force simultaneosly transfers this energy to the marble's y motion. All of this goes on continuosly and simultaneously, so that the B field neither gains nor loses energy, the agent pushing the tube in the x direction loses energy, and the marble gains this energy in its increasing y velocity.

3) A loosley related instance of the operation of an energy transferring agent:
Suppose I lift a bowling ball at a constant vertical velocity against the equal and opposite weight force of the ball. This represents an energy transfer from me to the ball, but that is not the whole story. The force between the ball and the earth simultaneously and continuosly transfers this energy to the gravitational potential energy of the ball-earth system. There is no change of direction here, but it does illustrate how the bowling ball's interactions with both me and the earth, can act as an energy transfer agent. Energy flows from me to the ball to the gravitational earth-ball system. I'm sure there are better examples - that's what comes to mind now.

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
http://www.winbeam.com/~trebor/
trebor@velocity.net