[Phys-l] Magnetic force and work - space-time approach?

I confess to not understanding the point John D is making below, by
introducing space-time language and the electro-magnetic tensor F, to
the discussion, however, more elaboration may help me.

Let me repeat my question in that language (ascii makes it hard, so ask
for clarifications if needed)

Choose any inertial frame you care, but choose one:

Find F in that frame,

Where F == 6/\A

Where 6 == the 4dim space-time version of the del operator.

We have a charge particle whose energy is increasing,

Is it the time-like components of F that are doing mechanical work on
the charge? And/or is it the spatial components of F?

Joel Rauber
Department of Physics - SDSU

Joel.Rauber@sdstate.edu
605-688-4293