Re: [Phys-l] Current as Vector

John Denker wrote:

Herbert Schulz wrote:

Vectors behave in certain ways under addition, etc.

That is an important consideration, and a good way to frame
the discussion.

I recognize the existence of both:
-- A vector current J, and
-- A scalar current I.

Arguing about which of these should be called "the" current reminds
me of the holy war between the big-endians and the little-endians.

I don't see how current can be a vector since it doesn't add like vectors; e.g., two currents do NOT add like vectors at branch points in circuits.

Really? I would say that they DO behave like vectors; in particular
the physical significance of "I" cannot be established except by reference
to a chosen basis vector.

For details, see
http://www.av8n.com/physics/resistance.htm#sec-diag

That web reference explicitly fails to consider a branch point, as suggested by Herb. Consider a specific example (ASCII art: fixed width font required):
I1=2A I2=1A
--------->---------------------->------------

V I3=1A

If you try to make vectors out of these, I2=(1A)i-hat, I3=-(1A)j-hat, and I2+I3 has a magnitude of 1.414A, which has no useful physical meaning that I can detect. It certainly doesn't make the "junction rule" any easier to handle.

No question that when analyzing circuits, one needs to establish a "positive direction" for each segment of a circuit. But that doesn't, in an of itself, make the quantity a vector.

This whole discussion is a microcosm of the more general fact that all fluxes are signed quantities that depend on a choice of positive direction, but are not vectors. The only cases in which you can meaningfully associate a flux with a "flux vector" are:
(1) the ultra specific case of uniform flow through all integration areas of interest, and
(2) in the limit of a small integration area, in which case all you have done is returned to the flow vector from which the flux can be calculated.
Even in these cases, I can't imagine the utility of defining such a vector. It complicates the discussion, and sets up a barrier for extension of the concepts to more general cases.

So current is a signed quantity, and properly dealing with it requires defining a positive direction on each circuit segment. Why not just say that, instead of trying to make it a vector? In fact, even here the vector model defeats the point: one of the salient properties of vectors is that only a single coordinate system choice is required to solve a problem; but for a circuit, you often want to pick a *different* positive direction for each segment.

BTW, at the above web link, it says "To label the voltage of a node in the diagram, it suffices to put a symbol next to the node." While this is true, I think it might be a tad misleading. To obtain proper voltage *differences*, reference must be made to the same orientation choices that are made for description of the currents. See <http://www.geneseo.edu/~mclean/AnalytII/demo/CircuitAnalysis.pdf>.
--

Dr. James McLean phone: (585) 245-5897
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy FAX: (585) 245-5288