Re: [Phys-l] Warped 2-metersticks....

This is "empty precision" - a learning moment?

Brian

At 08:40 AM 3/20/2006, you wrote:
I use the 2 meter sticks for free fall experiments with electronic timers. I
simply don't worry about the warping. Suppose the overall warp is about 10
degrees - a really extreme case - I don't have any that badly warped. If the
10 degree overall warp corresponds to an average warping of 5 degrees, then
the overall error in measurement will be related to the cosine of 5 degrees
(0.996). This results in a 0.4 percent error in measurement - 8 mm over the
entire length of the stick. Considering all the other errors involved, this
is not worth worrying about. But it is nice to have an answer ready when a
student questions the use of a bent stick.

Bob at PC

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Herb
Gottlieb
Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2006 5:23 PM
To: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Cc: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Warped 2-metersticks....

It is doubtful that a warped 2-meter stick can provide
accurate readings within half a millimeter even after
it has been carefully straightened out.

A number of years ago The Physics Teacher magazine
reported a comparative evaluation of wooden meter sticks.
I recall seeing a photograph of a stack of these "meter"
sticks that varied in length by as much as 2 or 3 millimeters.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where it is almost impossible to find a meter stick that is
one meter long.