Re: [Phys-l] nature of science

At 01:19 PM 3/19/2006, Robert Cohen, you wrote in answer to
Mangala Joshua's question:
> 1. What is the basic difference between a theory and a law
> in science?

///
It seems to me that the "Theory of Gravitation" refers to something that
is different from the "Law of Gravitation," at least according to the
way those phrases are typically used nowadays. When I hear "Theory of
Gravitation" I think of relativity and explanations for why there is
gravity whereas when I hear "Law of Gravitation" I think of the inverse
square relationship between the gravitational force and the separation
distance.

My question is: Is there any reason why we call one "law" and the other
"theory" or is it simply because we can't use the same word for both?
If the latter, could we just as well be referring to the inverse square
relationship as the "Theory of Gravitation" if we hadn't already settled
on arbitrarily calling it the "Law of Gravitation" (or visa-versa)?

P.S. I think the original request may have come out of the common
impression that laws are theories that have been proven to be true. Is
there general agreement that this is *not* the case?

Robert Cohen, Chair, Department of Physics

Since Robert asked, I will offer my response - the idea of Laws
in science is reactionary - in that it conveys the idea that there
are some scientific statements one can make that are cast in stone,
rather than uttered as provisional.

The idea of "Laws" goes together with the picture of scientists
who seek "Truth" - another unhappy construction.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!