From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Scott
Goelzer
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 11:23 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: [Phys-l] Blackhole Orbit

When discussing the misconception that black holes 'suck everything
in' , a neat question came up: Would it be possible to orbit a black
hole inside the Schwarzschild radius? Would you still be weightless?

My _guess_ is that that answer is yes you can orbit, but tidal
differences would produce strain.
(smart mouth answer: no one will ever know.)

Cannot find anything on the web. Some cryptic references to orbits
not being stable closer than a certain radius.

Opinions? I did tell the student that I would ask the more enlightened.

Scott

Scott Goelzer
Physics Teacher
Coe-Brown Northwood Academy