Re: [Phys-l] digital video cameras

"Firewire is the way to go. Tens to hundreds
of times better bandwidth than usb."

Not quite not even 2 X.

I have an ext. HD and a PowerBook both w/ usb and FW. I found the difference sl. less than 2X transferring the same ~ 100 Meg file and that was w/ USB 1.0! Apple goofed; my PB is supposed to have 2. So when it returns from Texas I'll try the comparison again.
Here's a believable? Site on this matter.

http://www.usb-ware.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm

bc, who didn't know some webcams have memory.

Brian Whatcott wrote:

I have the eyeball webcam that Tom mentioned. It takes usable
stills and short movie clips, and makes possible videophone operation.

But it does not compare with even a cheap digital camcorder.
The one we bought is a mini DV which I see is out of favor with
Cindy. I was pleased by its X20 optical zoom, and
X hundreds digital zoom. The resolution seems to hold up well for the
optical zoom range at least. Firewire is the way to go. Tens to hundreds
of times better bandwidth than usb. We needed to buy
the PC interface, which was no problem to buy or install,
as it happened. Here is a URL with a selection by price band,
from <$200 to >$2000.

<http://www.shop.com/op/sprod-32837-1030905>

Brian Whatcott