Re: [Phys-l] iPod music compression

I find it amusing that people are fussing about the accuracy and sound of the compression, when the vast majority of the users of these things listen through 'piece of crap' earphones. IMO, if your earphones didn't run $200 or more, you aren't really going to hear the nuances in the music anyway--not that there ARE any nuances in most of today's music, but it does appear that a few people actually are putting 'real' music on these things.

As a recovering audiophile (had to give much of it up when computers started to eat my spare change), I still won't touch these things. If I want to LISTEN to music, I'll plop down in front of my Dahlquist speakers or put on my Senheiser phones. I guess I just don't get the need to carry 1000 songs around with you everywhere you go and then listen to them on crappy earphones. Of course, I see no need to be constantly in touch (with anybody) or to be contactable at all times, so I won't buy a cellphone either--although I do believe the rather ridiculous (at the time) plot ending of 'The President's Analyst' is coming true. ;-)

[Added note: Of all people, Peter Townshend of The Who is preaching about people abusing their hearing through the use of headphones!]

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: Updated animations packages.
COMING: Spanish language versions of all software.
Energy 2100--class project
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/ENERGY_PROJECT/ENERGY2100.htm