Re: [Phys-l] Small rant (was: What students will do)

Hi all-
I got hung up at the beginneing of Joel's self-styled "rant":

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Rauber, Joel wrote:

Comments regarding various posts about textbooks and asundries

I"ll probably regret this post, but here goes . . .

<rant mode on>

A) I never have understood complaints about textbooks covering too much
material. No one forces you to cover all the sections and chapters in
the book! The extra material makes the book more useful as a reference.

To what end? Check your students at the end of each semester (quarter, or what else), and tabulate the fraction that hangs on to their texts. The used book market is lively, unless you go along with the publishers and switch to the newest edition every three months or so. Still, from what I've seen, students prefer whatever cash they can get from their texts to any possible utility the books may have in the future.
I consider this a well-deserved fate for these mostly graceless, pompous exercises in pedantry.
Regards,
Jack

Joel Rauber
Department of Physics - SDSU