Re: [Phys-l] expand your mind

If this is any help, I believe that the outer rim of a bagel tends to be smooth, but the inner rim tends to have wrinkles and indentations, suggesting some folding of the inner edge. I think this could be observed by going to a bagel shop and looking at the bagels.

I ate my lunch bagel by the time this came in, so I can't verify this at thos time.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Here's an even simpler hypothesis: Some sort of memory effect
is involved.

Think about how the thing was made: It started out as a ball,
then a hole was poked in the middle. Poking adds material to
the inside of the torus, and puts the outside under tension.
The inside is either under compression or under much less
tension than the outside.

To test this hypothesis, construct the bagel using some other
technique, perhaps by assembling small bits, or perhaps by
cutting with a donut cutter.