Re: [Phys-l] geometry of spacetime (was: relativisitic mass ...)

I guess what I strongly object to is the abuse of language, eg:
JD wrote:
| THEREFORE, perhaps it would be better to say something like:
| The fact that that object's 3-velocity *appears* to another observer
| to asymptotically approach the speed of light is not a property of
| the object, and it's not a property of the observer, either. It is
| a property of the projective geometry of spacetime ... and of the
| definition of 3-velocity.

Yes, the behavior of quantities depends on our definitions! By our
definition of 3 velocity, the above 3 velocity doesn't "APPEAR to another
observer to asymptotically approach the speed of light" it is measured to
do so, and DOES so. du/dt is a useful and easily measured quantity. Of
what more use is du/dtau of Betelgeuse? What would improve if we ceased
calling du/dt "velocity" and reserved that name for du/dtau?

It is not unusual to find a certain set of concepts to be more useful for
"philosophical appreciations" and a different, operational set for
calculational and practical use . We need both (and more!).

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
http://www.winbeam.com/~trebor/
trebor@winbeam.com