[Phys-l] pressure

carmelo@pacific.net.sg wrote:

For static fluid, pressure is a scalar quantity. When water flows, pressure can be defined as
tensor...

"Now there's a name I've not heard in a long, long time. A long time."

There's a pretty strong consensus nowadays that there is no such thing
as a pressure tensor. If you think you've got a pressure tensor,
change the sign and call it the stress tensor.

Pressure is a scalar. It is 1/3rd of the trace of the stress tensor.

The wikipedia article looks pretty good to me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure