Re: [Phys-l] current vector

Speaking of current density distributed across the cross-section of the
wire... What is "current thought" on what this distribution looks like.
I was under the impression that the density is higher near the surface
of the wire, and at some potentials and at some frequencies the current
is mostly on the surface.

I also know that when I was at Los Alamos and I crossed paths a couple
times with HV-power-transission guys, they treated the current as if it
were on the surface and they were testing hollow conductors.

That's about all I know (or have heard). Anybody know more?

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817