[Phys-l] Time to answer many questions with a single reply

Warning... This post is long and in the time it has taken to draft it many
other users have replied. Therefore, some of the info may be redundant.

How does the archive system know what thread a message belongs to if not
the subject line?

There is much more to an email message than what normally appears. Within
the message header, there is a couple of lines that track the history of a
thread. The program used to create the list archive pages keys off the
"in-reply-to" and "references fields". It does not rely upon the subject
line.

If a poster "replies" to a message, this implies the poster wishes to
reply to the thread. If a poster wishes to begin a new thread, a new
message must be sent, not simply a reply to a past one. Many threads
evolve with time and the subject line may change to reflect this. However,
the thread is still one and should be treated as such.

To change the name of the thread by sending a new message is more
demanding; one must compose the address (without an error).

This difficulty is overcome by adding the Phys-L address to the mailer's
address book.

BTW, it seems unfortunate that Phys-L has deserted the great LISTSERV
discussion list software that allows easy resetting of options (even
"NOMAIL"

There is still this functionality available on the individual member
settings pages provided by Mailman. It seems some users are having great
difficulty receiving their password which allows them to modify their
settings. I suspect those users are experiencing either a highly-sensitive
SPAM filter or have their system forward those messages to a mail folder
not usually viewed (a few people who originally had problems later found
the messages containing their password in folders they don't normally
check).

and provides a marvelous search engine that allows searches by key word,
author, subject, time, or any combination thereof.

I have now included a [How to search] link next to the search "Search!"
button. This details the search function and how one may search by date,
author, subject etc. For instance, to search for all posts by Dan MacIsaac
in 2005 with the keyword "aapt", simply enter this in the search query
box:

+author:macisaac +date:2005 aapt

and hit the search button. I think you will find results are returned
quite quickly.

Are LISTSERV fees regarded by Buffalo State as exorbitant?

The history of the list move might help explain some things. This is from
my end of things and I may get some of the more Dan MacIsaac-centric parts
wrong; hopefully Dan will correct those if there is a need.

Since Dan is no longer at Northern Arizona University (NAU), either he or
the people who administer the machine at NAU thought the list should move
with him. If I recall correctly, there was no one at Buffalo State College
who was willing to host the list. Since Dan has some connections to the
University at Buffalo (UB), he asked the UB IT people if the list could be
hosted by them. Since Dan is not faculty at UB, they politely stated "no".
Through a chain of people and events, someone asked me how to host the
list at UB. I said "Easy, we host it ourselves". As I stated before, I
believe Phys-L has a budget of $0.

I am evidently no longer subscribed to the DIGEST because my inbox has
been overwhelmed with individual Phys-L posts.

I was given a list of members and asked to subscribe them last Saturday
night. I was told the setting of NOMAIL and DIGEST for individual members
would occur shortly after the members were subscribed. Obviously, some of
these settings were not made. I am more than happy to set these manually
for those having trouble making the changes themselves. Please send me the
request directly, not to the list.

Issues such as the allowance of attachments and how things function are
still being discussed and tweaked as needed. I once again ask for patience
as the list matures at UB.

Mark
--
Mark O. Kimball
Gasparinilab, University at Buffalo | Low Temperature Physics